okay, i’m finally going to upload my recipe for this because i’m trying to stop procrastinating so let’s get into this!!
i just moved home from campus a couple of days ago for winter break and obviously the thing i’ve missed most is my fully stocked kitchen 🙂 in order to break it in i decided to make one of my favorites because peppermint + chocolate is one of my absolute favorite flavor combinations especially in the winter (but really, all year round)
this is a recipe i’ve tried twice now!! i was kind of iffy initially because i couldn’t find a non-alcoholic recipe & i wanted it to be kid-friendly (and also so my muslim friends could have some) so i fiddled around with ratios of white chocolate and peppermint extract instead
this recipe could probably stand a couple more rounds of tweaking/editing so if you do try this just let me know if you think i should add/reduce any of the ingredients 🙂
[i was also thinking about adding dark chocolate truffles on top of the oreo crust; like maybe 8 spread out with one to each slice so there’s more chocolatey flavor but i don’t know hmm]
ANYWAY HERE GOES
yield: one 9-inch pie prep time: 60 minutes total time: ~7h
20 oreo cookies, crushed
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 egg yolks
2 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup granulated sugar
500 ml whipping cream, divided
1.5 tbsp peppermint extract, or to taste
100g melted white chocolate
pinch of salt
- preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- combine Oreo crumbs and melted butter, tossing with a fork/spatula until crumbs are evenly moistened.
- transfer crumbs into a 9-inch pie plate and press them evenly into the bottom & up the sides.
- refrigerate lined plate for 30 minutes.
- bake for 10 minutes until pie crust is fragrant and set. cool completely on a wire rack.
- in a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until foamy (~30sec).
- stir together the gelatin, sugar, 150ml of cream and salt in a medium saucepan. let it sit until gelatin softens (~5min)
- cook over medium heat until gelatin dissolves & mixture is hot but not boiling (2min).
- drizzle in yolks while stirring, then return saucepan to heat and cook for 2min.
- remove from heat & stir in peppermint extract and white chocolate.
- pour batter into a large bowl, refrigerate and stir every 5 min for 20min until it thickens.
- beat the remaining cream on medium-high until stiff peaks form, then fold into gelatin mixture.
- scrape mixture into cooled pie crust with a spatula and refrigerate until firm (6h) or overnight.
- serve with chocolate shavings!